xPQwRtz

reWRITING THE INDIE CONSTITUTION

Monday, February 18, 2008

how pop made my thighs ache

was it the siddeleys who had a single out with a photo of some 50's kids riding bicycles on the front?
i don't own any siddeleys records anymore so i can't check.
but i'm sure it was them.

there was a whole spate of record covers with this kind of warm-hearted-england-is-innocent-swallows-and-amazons cover art.
having said that i'll probably not be able to find any.
oh, hang on, here we go:

various artists | take the subway to your suburb

brilliant corners | delilah sands

television personalities | smashing time
(all right - before you say anything - i KNOW this single predates the others by at least 5 years, but then in terms of indie pop the TVP's were way ahead of their time).

it was a hot and sunny summer as i remember.
i had newly started work as a screen printer.
my job was a 20 minute bus-ride from home.

one afternoon i spotted a bicycle in a second hand shop.
not just any old bicycle either.
it was one of these:











(thanks to the stones & bikes of wales for the image)

i thought it was beautiful.
and it fitted in with my indie lifestyle and image.
old jumpers that were my grandfather's, shirts from oxfam, desert boots and a satchel.
my stephen pastel haircut.

i handed the shopkeeper £50 and took the bike home.
the following monday i rode the bike to work.

it took for-f*cking-ever.
i finally arrived at work late, sweaty and aching.
of course i had to ride the damned thing home again too.

the following saturday, with every inch of my body in spasm, i took the bike back to the shop and sold it for £20.


the warm-hearted-england-is-innocent-swallows-and-amazons-1950's./early 60's myth is a painful untruth.

11 Comments:

  • At 12:40 AM, Blogger PC said…

    Yup, Siddeleys. (I still have mine).

     
  • At 6:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Really?? England's not like that? You're bursting my American bubble.

    I love that cover for the Brilliant Corners.

    Oh and I think it's terrible that you returned your bike after one day of riding it. Lazy!

     
  • At 9:13 AM, Blogger Crayola Sarandon said…

    lazy?
    me?

    well yes, a bit perhaps.

    :)

     
  • At 12:34 PM, Blogger winter94 said…

    Hi Crayola, thanks for commenting on my (brief) review! I can't wait for kill twee pop!
    -Bradley

     
  • At 6:53 PM, Blogger jessica said…

    been a while since i've been here... i forgot how much i like this blog

     
  • At 12:03 AM, Blogger Crayola Sarandon said…

    happy to be of service.
    or something.

     
  • At 2:19 PM, Blogger Dana said…

    but the andthensuddenly links don't work anymore! :(

     
  • At 5:17 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Hi Mr Sarandon,
    Sorry to have to contact you in this way, I couldn't find your email address! Anyway, just to let you know that we've set up a new Indietracks festival blog at www.indietracks.livejournal.com and linked across to you, hope that's OK! It's got all the latest gossip from the festival, as well as free mp3s! Hope you're coming along....
    Natalie
    Indietracks

     
  • At 3:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    After searching for 7 years, finally someone has the legendary cover of Benny Hill's 'Gather in the Mushrooms' by Bogshed (compilation 3) - and the links are dead!

    A cruel trick.

     
  • At 5:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ah me ah my, I had one of those bikes too, used to pack a box of vinyl on the back and pedal to my DJ gigs at legendary Hull pits like Spyders and the Welly club...happy days.

    for an indie kid I had fucking huge rugby players legs though...

     
  • At 2:19 PM, Blogger ROOKSBY said…

    Congrats! You made me laugh out loud (alomost a tea-spilling incident)...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home